Originally known as “Market Hall” when the building was along the path of the Erie Canal, it became “City Hall” in 1852. The present day Richardson Romanesque structure was designed by architect Charles E.Colton and built out of Onondaga Limestone. It opened in 1892, and the main entrance was moved to the south side of the building in 1905. A bell was installed and later replaced by an electronic carillon in 1987. Trains ran along the Washington Street side until 1936. The building was added the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.







